Monday, June 18, 2012

Better Food Choices


Woke up at 6am. Devotional. Ran.  Kids bathed, dressed and off to Dr.'s appointment for check-ups.  Oh, wait!! Did we forget to eat breakfast?  Of course!  Okay now, we need to get going with only 10 minutes to get there.  As I'm heading out the door, the hubby hands me $15.00. He says, "Go get lunch for you guys after the doctor's appointment."  Emily always wants Chick Fla. Zachary could care less, as long as it's food.  We're all running on empty this morning.  I ran 5 miles and I really needed my protein shake. Oh well, the hubby did fix me a big mug full of coffee. That will do!

Check ups go so smooth with our pediatrician.  We've been seeing her for over 6 years now and she's the best.  My main concern is if I'm meeting the kid's nutritional intake.  I admitted to her that I took the kids off all their allergy medications and started them on a gluten-free diet.  She was very surprised to find out that they were symptom free for over 5 months now.  We do eat white bread every once in a while.  Hence the Organic Rudy's white hamburger buns.  The gluten hamburger buns are not very tasty, so we splurge on white buns when we eat hamburgers.  We don't eat anything that comes in a box and I cook all our tortillas, biscuits, pancakes, muffins and cookies homemade from scratch.  I haven't ventured out to make gluten free bread yet.  One of these days.  I recently started making my own gel for my runs.  I even made some with coffee to give me some caffeine during my runs.  Its the most amazing gel I have ever tasted.  So, our pediatrician said we were on the right path and that the kids were getting enough of their nutritional needs met.  The "Organic" in me wanted to eat something clean, something that would fill us up.  After we got out of the doctors office I decided we would be eating hamburgers.  A trip to Natural Grocers and costing $15.68 we managed to buy buns, chips, strawberries, banana's and cookies.  We always have plenty of organic meats in the fridge so we had a complete meal.  Chick Fla would have cost us over $20.00 and the kids would have been hungry an hour later.  Eating better takes planning, but it doesn't take that much time to make a nutritious homemade meal at home.  I told the kids that Mighty Fine Burgers would have been very expensive.  They said that my hamburgers are better than them.  I taught them well.  Lol!!!!
This was our Homemade Meal.
Organic Hamburgers and Chips.  

No comments:

Post a Comment