Saturday, June 23, 2012

Better Food Choices for Life


Super Food Greens
 Chocolate Flavor (Kids)
Green Super Food, Trace Minerals
and Vanilla Brown Rice Protein.
As a continuation of my post about Better Food Choices, I decided to continue my series of posts. Oh how I remember the days when I was protein deficient. I would wake up in the morning craving a hamburger. 
 Don't we wish we could eat a sloppy, cheesy, greasy, burger everyday? 
 "No!!!", you say.  "Okay", a little dramatic, but every once in a while we all do crave some "Junk Food."  Funny! My days at work consist of long strenuous hours taking care of sick patients.  I now work in Austin by the triangle.  I never knew how blessed (or should I say cursed) to find out I live right where all the "Good Food" is brewing.   Mandola's, Torchy's Tacos, Chedd's, Maoz Vegetarian, Which Which and P. Terry's.  "What in the world?"  So, my 2-3 days of work consist of one of these establishments.  Lately its been Torchy's Tacos; my favorite so far.  But then again, Mandola's satisfies my carb cravings, especially a day before my long runs.  And as much as I run, I still need to be careful of the food I devour. So, after 2 Torchy's Tacos for lunch, I decided that I would detoxify my body the next day with just a protein shake and greens.  Later after work I went to  Natural Grocers and filled up my basket with Super Greens, Trace Minerals and Brown Rice Protein.  After my trip there I headed out to  P. Terry's for the kids and of course I ordered a burger for myself.  Super good. Super cheap. As I was in line at the drive thru, I looked back at my box full of little goodies and felt super guilty.  No more!!!  No more junk, unprocessed food that will fill me for the moment, but will not sustain me for life.  You see, those foods are made to fill us up for the moment and then we are left with malnourished bodies lacking vital nutrients, minerals and to be quite simple,  "Garbage!!!!"  To my surprise, as I reached into my bag of goodies from natural grocers, there was a flyer written by a Certified Nutritionist who wrote about Natural Foods.  It stated that although you can buy an all meat burger for $2.00 (I was super excited when I ordered from P.Terry's) it lacks the vital nutrients you need to sustain you.  It stated that although organic meats cost more, in the long run you are nourishing, repairing and helping your body stay healthy.
 To Me, that Means:

  • Less Doctor Visits
  • Better Digestion
  • Natural and Organic Foods fill us up. (That's because they are in their natural form and do not contain fillers (fillers are chemicals put into foods to make up for the food content) Examples include Lays Potatoe Chips (I've actually almost ate a full bag of these because I never got full), Oreos, Snicker Bars and Twinkies.  It's basically any food that comes in a box and is not labeled Organic.  (Organic Foods come in their natural form and are certified by the U.S. Government)
  • Repair the Body (my husband suffers from an autoimmune disorder and my daughter and son who both have asthma and eczema have seen great improvement with following an Organic Diet)
  • Provide us with disease-fighting immunity. A daily regime of Greek Yogurt can help the digestive system to produce good, super bugs that kill all those bad germs that live in our stomach.  The Gut controls a good proportion of the bacteria and when it is out of control your immune system becomes weak.  
To You, That Means:

  • More Money
Eating an all Organic Diet can be expensive, but there are many ways you can adjust your budget and the way you cook at home.  For instance, I do without buying extra clothes, going out to the movies, cutting my hair (Lol!! I haven't cut my hair in over 7 years) or spending money on things "I want."  I use that money to put towards our food.  Because in the long run, all material possessions and things will fade away.  The latest movie you watched won't be remembered a year or two from now, but You will have Your Body for the Rest of Your Life and that my friend is worth the sacrifice.  
Until then,  "Eat Organic!"

More posts on Better Food Choices for Life.   Next Post I will talk about Better Food Choices for Life: Breakfast Choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment