Saturday, August 4, 2012

Messes of Men

My Big Boy!!!

Wow!! To think we were just in downtown Austin with a group of crazy people and now I'm sitting her going over last night's events and praying for my son who has his second black belt testing this morning.

A week before testing, Zachary tells us that his testing is on Saturday (today) and that he needs to be there by 8am. What in the world?  Zach?  Kids are notorous for keeping us informed at the last minute.

So, Mewithoutyou is Friday (we planned the concert since May). A day before testing. In fact, its at night, which means we won't be back home until 12 midnight or later.  Okay, just pray, keep calm. It will all work out.
6am.  Alarm sounds, go get Zachary from grandmas. David's up ironing his uniform and I head on over to Starbucks for our usual Java Chip Frappacino before testing.  Zach doesn't eat before testing, so I fill him up with caffeine and sugar.  I'm so smart!!!  Lol!!!!!

Zach and his pre-tesing Starbucks drink!
He comes in from talking to his dad and asks me what happened at the concert.  David chimes in and says, "Your Mama saved a Life."  What?  I saved a life. I'm not Jesus.  Surely, he's mistaken.  Souls I like to save, to bring them closer to a relationship with God, but I am no miracle healer. Ha!!!

So, let me tell you what he was referring to.  In May we made a trip down to San Antonio to see Mewithoutyou.  They were starting their tour and we were so excited to see this new found love of ours.  Music has always been a part of our lives.  David played in a band for many years.  I also remember Zachary in his white underwear, singing and dancing to Toby Mac when he was 3 years old.  DJ and Zach would rap along David's techno music.  Emily now raps, as she has formed her own band called the "Killer Lizard."  Along with her siblings and yes, David of course, they come up with rap songs.  Pretty funny. Pretty cute.  A creative genuis, she came up with this little rap/rythme, (okay at this time, she's getting her journal where she writes all these down) "Circles and Squares", "Octagons and triangles sitting in a tree, circles and squares laughing at me.

I told David at the concert that if all else fails, she can be a homeschool rapper.  You know a kid that raps about their homeschooling journey growing up. 


Back to my story.  Waiting. Waiting.  You wait to get in the venue. You wait in line to get a shirt. You wait again for the opening band (Bury Beds, You rock!!) and then you wait some more to see the main band which doesn't come on until 10pm or later.  As we were waiting for the band to start, I was looking around, seeing all these young faces.  In front of me stood a young girl with her boyfriend.  Young college kids I suppose.  Later on a guy came and rushed over to embrace her boyfriend.  Embrace I say because they hugged so long that it was so akward to see.  I had to remember that this was a 13 and up concert, but then again, I had a 15 year old with me.  They probably embraced for about 5 minutes or more, not wanting to let go.  Ha!! Like I know the exact time.  No, I didn't time it!! Ha!! Later after this long embrace, his girlfriend and him started to make out.  Really?  As I mentioned before on my FaceBook status, "Gay or not no one should be making out at a Chickfila."  At that time I was referring to the "Kiss Day" at Chickfila.  Seeing this embrace at the concert made me very uncomfortable and I could only imagine how the people (families) eating there, seeing gays and lesbians kiss each other.  These people were trying to prove a point, so I can only imagine how rated R it got.  The couple who were constantly kissing each other made me feel that I was in a rated R movie.  I looked around at other couples and saw that they were either holding hands or just cuddling next to each other.  What in the world?  There was one couple who sat a the front to the stage. The girl toppled over and almost fell to the floor.  She was flushed, sweating profusely with her eyes shut.  Her boyfriend tried to hold her up, I came and helped him, seeing no one else was helping.  We ended up lowering her to the floor where I  told them to call "911."  She was becoming more alert.  As a nurse, I was so concerned.  Did she take any drugs?  Is she diabetic?  Does she have any heart problems?  I asked her all these same questions that were forming in my head.  She responded with a No. No. And No.  I asked if she ate.  Nope.  Just lettuce.  Lettuce?  It was 100 degrees in the venue and no food plus not enought water equals disaster.  Find out after talking to her, she hadn't eaten in 5 days.  I layed my hands over her and prayed for her. She started crying saying she didn't have money to go the hospital.  I told her that her safety was more important and that she probably needed to be evaluated.  Within 2 minutes EMS was there.  I spoke to the transport tech and assisted her to the EMS vehicle, said a prayer and walked back into the concert.  David was with me the whole time.  Poor girl.  Later on I found out by DJ that he saw her in the concert crowd.  This was 3 or more hours after the incident.  Hopefully they were able to get her some IV fluids.

That's what David meant when he said that I saved a life.

Me and Eliza
Bury Beds
So, let's go back to the couple that was kissing and showing way to much affection at the concert.  When Bury Beds came on, I was so excited.  I love the girl who sings in the band.  She's awesome!!! A heavenly voice I should say.  I was able to get a pic of the two of us.  Isn't she cute?  Adorable.  I look big compared to her. Lol!!!

I excused myself and nudged myself in front of the kissing couple. I came to see my favorite bands, not some rated R show.  The guy became very angry. I tried to ignore it.  His girlfriend didn't.  As we continued throughout the concert, they were screaming at each other, he slapped her, she spilled beer over the people in front of her.  She continued this behavior for about an hour or so.  When Mewithoutyou was about to come on I had to say something.  And indeed I did.  I apologized to the guy for taking his spot, I told him that I came to see a concert and not his girlfriend and him making out.  He told me they were fighting and that they had just made up.  Okay. Fair enough.  Let me continue to enjoy the show.  The final blow came when he slapped her and they started again to scream at each other.  Okay.  Now, I have to say something.  You could clearly see that so many people were also annoyed.  I told them to stop.  I said, " Would you please stop. I came here to see a concert, I paid money to see and I want to enjoy the show.  You spilled beer on the girl in front of you, your making out when I have a 15 year old son I brought to the concert. I want to see the show." (Did I forget to mention she was elbowing me the whole time, spilling her beer all over the floor.  We love the bands, David and I don't drink but these bands are starting off and it's wherever they can play to get people to listen) Right away she called me the B-word and was about to punch me in the face when David stepped in.  Okay, the boyfriend told David, we can handle this.  Minutes later she pushed me out of the way, dragging her boyfriend along and called me another profanity.  They left!! Yay!!!  The girl in front of me gave me a high five.  I didn't want that.  I just wanted to enjoy the concert.  You could see that the people who were around this couple were so much more relaxed and able to enjoy the show.  Me too!!!  I felt bad about their leaving afterwards, David told me not to say anything, but I needed to.  I don't confront people in a rude or demeaning matter, I stayed calm and voiced my concern. 

David thanked me this morning for saying something.  

I named this blog, Messes of Men.  A Mewithoutyou song.  It fits perfectly.  You see in San Antonio we had such a great time. Different people. Different environment.  Austin is different. David reminded me of that this morning.  It's liberal. It's free.  And free where lost souls are roaming around trying to find some purpose in their lives.  Their young. They feel they have the whole world to do whatever they want to with it.  They sometimes forget the Creator in all of this.  He is up there looking down on us, some he looks at, smiles and says, "Good and faithful servant." Others, he says with a tear, "How long O'Daughter/Son must I cry for your salvation?"  The Lord loves us all.  Sinners.  Liberals. Poor. Rich.  

I looked up the lyrics to the song, "Messes of Men."  He sings, "I do not exist, but faithfully insist, While watching sink the heavy ship with everything we knew!  And if ever you come near, I'll hold up high a mirror Lord, I could never show you anything as beautiful as you.

So, In this journey we are on, we can either run the race or walk to get there.  Either way, we all are different (God made us each special and unique) but we need to continue the journey without the influences of this world.  Our purpose and  existence needs to be united with the true Creator. We all need to find this wonderful, beautiful person who wipes away our sins and makes us new again.  After 15 years knowing the Lord, I too need to be renewed and forgiven.  I search daily for him and find him where he has always been, waiting for me like he was that time when I had no purpose in my life.  A wanderer. A lost soul.  Crying to him in my desperate pleas.
My favorite verse: 
I waited patiently for the Lord, he turned to me and heard my cry; he lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire.  He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.  
Psalm 40:1-2
I wondered if any of the concert goers there really knew the true meaning of the band's lyrics. I mean you can sing the lyrics, but to have a deep understanding of them.  (Sort of like reading the Bible and not letting it sink in the heart of man)

I'll leave you with another lyric,  "We keep our confessions long, but when we pray we keep it short."
Aaron, the lead vocalist of Mewithoutyou

David warned me about a mosh pit about to start.  It did.  David lost his eyeglasses in the process. DJ was involved in it.  He had so much fun. We all did!!!

Thank you, Mewithoutyou for creating crazy music that makes me run, laugh and enjoy life.  
Kinda hard to do with regular "Christian Music."  I use the phrase, "Devil, disappear!"
Taken from, "Still there's a whisper in my ear.  The voice of loneliness and fear.
And I say, "Devil disappear!




Till next time,

Eat Organic!!!
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment