Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Keeping Active During a Pandemic


Running is social distancing? 

Isn't it? 

David didn't think so. But then I had to remind him that social distancing has been my norm as long as I can remember.  I can say it all started when I became depressed, then it spilled on over into my postpartum depression. The only one person I ever met with once a week was my therapist. For 2 years she helped me navigate what I wanted my life to look like. Before that,  I worked 2 jobs. Well, lets be honest, I've always had two jobs. Sometimes I would take a break, but a break to me was staying at home and reading a book or running.  Social distancing has been my family's norm for over 16 years. We don't go to Saturday birthday parties. We don't have dates with friends unless it was school related like art. We don't even go to church because most of the days I had to work were on Sundays when every other nurse wanted to be off.  Holidays were always spent here at home. Just the 5 of us, and then DJ would come into the mix from his military leave.  

14 years of running provided me with all I ever wanted and needed.  

Lately its been difficult running. EVERYONE IS OUT!!!  Every time I'm out, I feel my heart sink, I smile and then I bolt into the highway like a mad women. My point is to avoid the oncoming person who is 15 feet away from me. That gives me enough time to react. 

When I ran on the highway, I almost got ran over twice with one being my husband when he ran a yellow light and almost hit me. I never knew I was in danger and later as I came home, he told me the news. So, Highway running was ruled out by the family as a "No, we will not allow you to run on the side of the highway and let you get hit."  Okay, they had a valid point. But now, I have no choice than to risk my life by running on the highway. 

Social distancing and running. Win. Win. Again. 


So, if you are like me and you need an outdoor outlet, you can keep your 6ft social distance and continue to get those endorphins.  I've had to stop doing things I would normally do while I ran, but I don't miss it. 

Here are some tips so you can continue to get your Vitamin D, endorphins and sanity back while enjoying a run, bike ride or walk. 

  • Do not go into the gas station to get you a snack or a drink. I would always stop and take a bathroom selfie that I would rarely even post and then steal (I mean buy)  a cup of water from the fountain machine. Now come on, I'm only getting water. It should be free. 
  • When at the stop light, do not push the signal button to cross. Use your feet, your elbows, but do not touch that filthy Corona infested button.
  • Run, bike or walk by a local church and stand in front of the building and say a prayer for America. Say a prayer for me and all the nurses too.  We need protection. And I'm talking about both, God's spiritual protection and the worlds physical protection: Personal Protective Equipment, the kind of protection that keeps viruses off of us and everyone else.
  • Try not to handle your phone. Create a playlist and stick with that. 
  • If you are running or walking and there is someone 15 ft away from you, bolt to the side of the highway, of course look for oncoming traffic. Do not get hit. Please. For your family. Stay alive.  And then smile and look back at your confused, but you know he gets the point.  If you smile, its to say that during these times, you are not a A**hole. 
  • Don't talk to your neighbor and all the millions of neighbors out trying to do the same thing you are. Just keep that 6 ft distance and smile and wave. You will have plenty of time after all this over to show them that you are in fact a decent human being by baking them some cookies. 
  • When you come home, take off your shoes, leave them at the door. Immediately go in and wash your hands and then undress your sweaty clothes and hop in the shower. 
  • If you are like me and you like to get some energy first before ingesting 20 pills, don't forget to take your Elderberry syrup. 
  • Also, come home after you've exercised for 1 hour and 1/2 and have yourself a beer. You deserve it. Gluten-free of course and Austin East Ciders of course too. Oh, and the new one, Brut thats only 100 calories, 4 grams of carbohydrates and 2 grams of sugar. 
I hope you can find laughter in all this  and remember that I've been homeschooling my kiddos for over 12 years now, so when this pandemic is all over, please remember to check on me every once in awhile and send Tiffs Treats, preferably the mix. And hopefully when this is all over, my profession will be stronger and braver than ever. 


Homemade Shrimp tacos with organic flour tortillas. 

 At least I have some cute Lululemon 
gear to wear during my run!


Until Next Time, 

WASH YOUR HANDS.
STAY AT HOME. 

Jennifer 






No comments:

Post a Comment