Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Let there be light. Genesis 1:3

Harry Ransom Center
Austin, Texas


When I heard about this exhibit in Austin, I was ecstatic.  A couple of months ago we went on a field trip with our library art class to the Blanton Art Museum with Traci, a fellow mother who also home schools her children, gave me an information brochure for the exhibit. 

We planned to go together, but never coordinated a date and time.  Every night when I read my Bible, I would look a the brochure.  What had me so excited was that there was one of the original King James Bible's on display.  Come to find out there are only 4 in the United States that are complete and 40 in the whole world.  

D.J. and the Gutenberg Bible



Gutenberg Bible.




 As we arrived we were greeted by a very enthusiastic woman who showed us the Gutenberg Bible.  A little History below.
The Gutenberg Bible was the first book printed on a printing press. 
It was written in Latin around the 1400's.  
It was written by Johannes Gutenberg in Mainz, Germany.




The Bible was then translated into English in the royal palace of Hampton Court in 1604.  King James I (King of England from 1603-1625) decided that they needed to create an English version  and it was dedicated to him. 




Me, Zachary and Emily

They didn't allow any picture taking due to copyright laws, but they did let us take a picture with the Gutenberg Bible. We spent about an hour plus there looking at all the history of the Bible and there were various displays of bibles.  I was amazed to see a very miniature bible whose words were only visible with a magnifying glass.  David's favorite display was one of several Abraham Lincoln campaign pins and a copy of Milton's Paradise Lost.  Amazing!!!!  I don't want to tell you everything they had there.  You need to see for yourself.  It truly made me think about how God has inspired many people throughout the past generations.  He continues to inspire me and in turn I plan to inspire my children to lead this next generation into a great nation with God as their leader.  To me, God is my Joy, my King and the very existence of my being.  

The exhibit is on until July 29'th. Don't miss out on this once in a lifetime opportunity!!!! Go visit it!!
Harry Ransom Center
21st and Guadalupe Streets
Austin, Texas


Written with God's Love,
 Jennifer




No comments:

Post a Comment